From Seth Boyden Garden Teacher Mrs. Tuohy:
Make a batch of homemade playdough (recipe below).
Gather beautiful objects from nature. Decorate the play dough with the natural objects while reflecting on and celebrating the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Simple homemade play dough recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar (optional)
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- food coloring (optional)
- ziploc bag, plastic wrap, or airtight container to store
- Stir together the flour, salt, and cream of tartar (if using it) in a large pot.
- Add the water and oil. If you are adding the optional food coloring, add it now.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the dough has thickened and begins to form a ball.
- Remove from heat and place on another nonstick surface to cool slightly.
- Knead until smooth and roll into balls. Cover with plastic wrap, place in a ziploc bag, or store in an airtight container.